SMETANA HALL. The hall occupies the entire central section of the building and is several stories tall. The hall, designed as a multi-purpose space, is fl anked by two stuccoed sculpture groups by L. Saloun – Vyšehrad and Slavonic dances. K. Spillar created
the ceiling and wall frescos, allegories of Music, Dance, Poetry and Drama. On the balcony and box ledges, there are plaques and portraits by J. Kalvoda of the Czech composers, Jan of Holešov, Bohuslav of Cechtice, Kryštof Harant of Polžice and Bezdružice, Václav Jan Tomášek, František Skroup, Vilém Blodek, Karel Bendl, and Zdeněk Fibich. Under the vaulted pendentives, there are four sculptures by K. Novák, who participated together with L. Kofránek and J. Kalvoda in creating other stucco elements, which can be seen in the wall. The woodwork and the wood-carved paneling of the stage were done by J. Navrátil. Some of the original furnishings, including ceiling glass panes and a lattice covering the air conditioner, were made by A. Cada and J. Simůnek. The mirrors, the chairs in the boxes, and the light fi xtures were made by F. Cvrk and the fi rm, Suda Kotěšovec. Set in long strings along the ceiling, are gilded lamps. Their milky tinted opaque glass was replaced in 1936 with the original cut glass. This arrangement was executed according to a design by P. Janák. The hall is dominated by the organ, which was made by J. Tuček, around which is a gilded bronze relief of B. Smetana by F. Hergesel. The organ was renovated by the fi rm, Vleugels, which is the successor of the original service subcontractor to J. Tuček, E. F. Wachler. Recently, a new electronic organ was added to accompany the original. Additionally, the original organ bench was returned to the hall from the National Museum collection. The original, richly ornamented, curtain and covers in the honorary boxes have been renovated. The decorations were completed by curtains on the doors and windows of the balcony. The chandeliers above the stage and balcony, which were originally
equipped with arched lamps made by F. Križik, have been replaced by replicas made according to photographs taken in 1912.
How to get there :
Subway - Yellow line B - station " Namesti republiky "
From Mustek down part of Wencelslav square - 5 minutes by walking via " Na Prikope " street
From Oldtime square - 5 minutes by walking via " Celetna " street
|Distance from city center||Addresse|
|1000||0,5Km||Republic Square 5, Prague 1|